Since GTA V’s first release in 2013 a plethora of thousands thousands of mods have been made to support the game. The community of modders is among the most dedicated gamers and this is true to the latest Rockstar Games creation. However, when you consider that GTA V is the studio’s most successful game to date, it’s easy to understand that GTA V would have the most mod-friendly support. One of the biggest issues that gamers have when it comes to mods is understanding how to download and install them to ensure they can be used in game. This can be difficult for players who may not be tech-savvy. Additionally, there’s the problem of determining which modifications to download in 2022 almost year after GTA V initially launched. Below, players can find the exact steps to download mods within GTA V and which ones they should be considering installing first.
Downloading Mods in GTA V
Before players know the mods to install, they must be aware of how to download the mods. It is important to note that players can only install mods for single-player play, as Rockstar Games had forbidden the use of mods in GTA Online. If players attempt to join GTA Online with mods enabled the game will subject them to an exclusion. There are a variety of steps involved in downloading mods within GTA V. The first part of the procedure is outlined below.
- Go to OpenIV.com and press the Download Now green button on the homepage.
- Download the application from your browser, and then follow the installation instructions the application will lay out
- Once the installation process is completed, launch OpenIV, and choose Windows in the Grand Theft Auto V box
- Enter the file path for the game directory of GTA V (should look like C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\)
- Continue, then press the Tools box that is located on in the upper taskbar on OpenIV
- Click on ASI Manager, and then install ASI Loader as well as OpenIV.ASI. If you are prompted, select Yes.
What this process provides is the ability where they can download, and then manage GTA V mods. The players can launch the OpenIV application at any time to review how their mods are doing and uninstall the mods, or change the mods. The next step of the process is to find physical mods that can be downloaded.
- Go to: GTA 5 mods – Best Modding
- Select a mod that you wish to download. You can pick a particular class of mods from the menu on the site
- Once a mode is selected Click on the box, and then click the green button to download it.
- Certain mods will download the .rar download file for your web browser. Other mods will take you to an Github page that will show the most recent version of the mod available to download the file.
- If the mod downloaded is a .rar file, you’ll require another program in order to view it for instance, 7-Zip File Manager. It can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store
- When you have opened the .rar files are opened you’ll likely get a ReadMe document that you can open in Notepad. It will provide you with directions on how to download the mod
- If the mod is available on an Github page you can download the most recent version. The mod will be downloaded in a zip file that you have to extract into a different folder on your PC.
- After you have extracted the files Copy or paste it in the Mods folder in your PC’s GTA V game directory. This is the exact directory you specified in the file path of the OpenIV application.
- Start GTA V once you’ve copied and pasted the contents of the file to your GTA V directory or followed the directions for the .rar file
Although this procedure covers general mods available for download, there are mods that utilize scripts. This requires a second mod, called Script Hook for it to function.
- Download Community Script Hook V .NET, by Alexander Blade
- Download the zip file and extract the contents to another file on your computer.
- Paste the contents of the file to the directory for games of GTA V, but don’t put them in a particular folder.
- Create a brand new folder in the game directory
- Visit best-modding.com and choose the script mod you want to download (these typically are identified with .net)
- Unzip the mod file then extract it time
- The contents should be copied and pasted into the newly created folder in your GTA V directory.
- Start GTA V and make sure that you follow the instructions to use the mod provided by the mod’s creator. These directions is available at the best-modding.com page about the mod
When all the steps are complete Once all of those steps are completed, players can begin using mods without restriction after which they can begin to use mods GTA V.